Launched last year as an alternative athletic offering during the winter season, PEAK (Physical, Education, Adventures, and Knowledge) was reimagined this year. Under the leadership of Abbey Nyland, physical education teacher and athletics coach, PEAK athletes have participated in fun cooperative games on campus and exciting adventures off campus. The team began their season with a pair of trips to Community Rowing in Cambridge where they were introduced to the sport on indoor erg machines. Following the winter break, the team traveled to Boston Bouldering Project in Somerville back-to-back weeks where they learned how to climb on belay, boulder without support, and perfect some parkour skills. Highlights from the recent trips include Eva Peregudov’s skilled climbing, Christian Atem’s quick moves through vaulting challenges, and Lavinia Frazzoli-Cassi’s precision landings. Still to come to the team is a couple of trips out to the Weston Ski Track for some cross country skiing! It’s been quite the winter for this dedicated group of middle school athletes.
- Giddy Borisy and Leeul Miteku had a great week of practice for IMBB and were able to translate their skills to the full-court scrimmage on Thursday afternoon. Zeke Fine and Kiernan Patel were elected captains of the non-interscholastic offering.
- It was another successful week for volleyball. Highlights included Audrey Chuang’s excellent serves, Siri Paulsson’s successful points off of volleys, Louis Cantor’s overhand, and Lydia Scharer’s clutch play during her team’s win.
- The wrestling team showed up strong against Fenn and Fessenden this week with a handful of impressive pins. Zach Kromah and Caleb Frehywot each had two, while team captain Ken MacDougall used his technical prowess to secure the fifth.
- The girls’ varsity basketball team improved to 3-1 on the season with a 29-23 win over LCA this week. Julia Casey and Alex Kadnar set the tone defensively, while Sara Colangelo and Quincy Treisman filled up the basket, combining for 27 points.
- The boys’ JV basketball team stayed unbeaten (3-0) with a 41-35 win over Rashi. Theo Kelman was a monster on the boards, Luke Brenneman hit a clutch three, and Sam Leviton was everywhere on defense. A great team win all around.
- Lila Green led all scorers in girls’ JV basketball’s 24-16 win against Rashi. Penny Gottesman chipped in with a sweet buzzer beater in the third and Kalkidan Shiferaw played incredible defense. The win kept the team undefeated (3-0).
- The boys’ varsity basketball team lost a heart-breaker to LCA, 32-31. Struggling to generate offense, the team missed five free throws down the stretch and missed a desperation three at the end. Andrew Green and Rami Flummerfelt combined for 24.
- The fencing team lost to Beaver (8-19) for the second time this season. Joshua Flanagan was undefeated in his three bouts, Zach Cash chipped in with a pair of victories, and Vatche Balikian had a great win. BB&N is next on the schedule.