Athletics Update: Frehywot’s Hat Trick Lifts Boys’ Soccer Over Park
Coming off a lopsided win in their season opener against Charles River, the boys’ varsity soccer team brought a 1-0 record into their home opener against Park this week. In what proved to be an evenly matched game, Belmont Day leaned on their eighth grade talent to separate themselves and eventually come away with a commanding 4-1 win behind Caleb Frehywot’s three goals. Frehywot was a difference maker all game, making runs and creating chances on what seemed like every other play. Marco Frazzoli Cassi buried a penalty kick for Belmont Day’s fourth goal and had a solid two-way game from the right side of the field. Rounding out the notable performances were team captains Nebiyou Elias and Eike Kiecza. Elias was strong in the midfield and made sound decisions with the ball on his foot. Kiecza was dominant in net and kept the opposing offense in check with aggressive reads and solid clears all game. With a good win under their belts, Belmont Day will take on another talented opponent next week when they travel to Pike.
- Kamila Ruiz was spectacular in goal during the girls’ varsity soccer team’s 2-0 loss to Park this week. Annika Vital was active in the midfield and created some chances for BDS.
- After falling behind early the field hockey team rallied behind strong goaltending by Yara Ibrahim and strong defense by Audrey Chuang before eventually falling to Park 3-2.
- Alexander Meredith, Foster Larabee, and Brynn Franklin all ran well during XC’s big win over visiting Fenn/Nashoba. Sebastian Colberg’s fantastic finish sealed the win for the Blue & Gold.
- The varsity football team was shutout in the second half and dropped a heartbreaker to Park 13-12. Quinn McCaffrey made impact plays on both sides of the field.
- Alexander Kiraly, Vicente Aguerrevere, and Mylo Rosenfield had strong performances during JV soccer’s intrasquad scrimmage and are looking forward to starting their season.
- Sixth grade classmates Calum Dunbar and Kiernan Patel will be JV football’s starting QBs when the team opens its season at home against Fessenden next week.
- In their limited time with the team, Eva Peregudov and Angel Geng are making positive contributions to outdoor adventures and are enjoying being active with their peers.