Athletics Update: Wrestling Topples Fenn, Strong Arms LCA
The Blue & Gold wrestlers had quite a week! With back-back meets against The Fenn School and Lexington Christian Academy, the team emerged with a pair of hard-fought victories, and improved to 3-1 on the season. On Wednesday, Belmont Day got off to a quick start with a huge pin by Quinn McCaffrey and then consecutive wins by Alexander Meredith, Alex Foley, Ellis Anderson, and Caleb Frehywot. Despite following up with some wins of their own, the fast start by Belmont Day was too much for Fenn to overcome and the Blue & Gold took home the W.
On Thursday the team traveled to LCA and took 9 of 10 matches from the home team including a pair of overtime wins and a few tough-nosed pins. The action was highlighted by a wire-to-wire win by Marlon Kasse who battled hard for three full rounds, and a dominant pin from Quinn Clark whose hard work during practice is clearly paying off. The wrestling team will wrap up their season next week on the road against Fay School.
- The fencing team continued its winning ways with a 15-12 decision over ISB this week. Cassie Greiner won both of her foil bouts while Gabriel Burd, Joshua Flanagan, Bodhi Demers, and Carter Bradshaw all took home wins in epee.
- Gianni Squillante helped set the pace for the second unit during the boys’ varsity team’s 11-point win over Carroll this week. Rami Flummerfelt chipped in with timely rebounding while Zach Kromah and Eidan Kuman-Tamanaha provided the D.
- The girls’ JV basketball team improved to 4-2 on the season with an 18-point win over SSDS this week. Roudi Youssef, Olivia Dawson, and Mimi Craddick all played well for the victors. The team will finish up against Meadowbrook next week.
- Oliver Gottesman’s deep three wasn’t enough as the boys’ JV basketball team came up short on the road this week against SSDS. Anurag Mujumdar and Nebiyou Elias provided strong leadership in defeat.
- Nora O’Brien, Bella Lightbody, and Avery Schneider provided productive stints off the bench during girls’ varsity basketball’s loss to Carroll this week. Emma Kass led all scorers with 18 points and Colby Morris played suffocating defense.
- Marco Frazzoli Cassi and Juliana Li led their team to a big win on the volleyball court on Wednesday, while Alden Largay and Nina Cohen-Perlmutter held things down on Thursday, helping their squad remain undefeated on the season.