The wrestling team improved to 2-0 in dual meets this season following their hard fought 45-36 win over Roxbury Latin this week. Newcomer Sam Doyle set the tone with a commanding 12-1 win out of the gate. Fellow newcomer Colin Parry kept things rolling in the second match with a 5-1 win of his own. After a pair of losses, Belmont Day got back in the saddle with a pair of pins from team veterans Alexander Meredith and Jun Murakami. A few matches later, Alexander Kiraly’s pin put the Blue & Gold ahead with a substantial lead heading into the home stretch of the meet. RL wouldn’t go away easily, however, and BDS needed a pair of late pins by Quinn Clark and Jun Murakami to seal the win. Murakami’s two pins highlighted an afternoon of great wrestling in the Downing Gym. The Belmont Day grapplers have been working hard in practice and will now prepare for a showdown with Fenn next week.
- Andrew Green dropped a school record 38 points in boys’ varsity’s big win over Shady Hill this week. Luke Brenneman and Kaden Flummerfelt chipped in with a pair of timely buckets.
- Sara Colangelo netted a game-high 21 points in girls’ varsity basketball’s lopsided win over Shady Hill. Roudi Youssef and Jovana Zivanovic rounded into form offensively for BDS.
- Samantha Cuming finished as the game’s top scorer in girls’ JV basketball’s commanding win over Shady Hill. Kalikidan Shiferaw controlled the boards for the visiting Blue & Gold.
- Lucy Yin, Louie Cantor, and Brynn Franklin were elected to serve as team captains for the first round of badminton tournaments. Teams have been battling in the Downing Gym.
- Varsity fencing beat Shady Hill 21-6 this week. Zach Cash, Ariel Duan and Tadhg O’Sullivan highlighted 8 Belmont Day fencers who were all undefeated on the day.
- The boys’ JV basketball team lost a heartbreaker (28-27) to Shady Hill this week. It’s the team’s second one-point loss of the season. Calum Dunbar and Ben Fleming played well.
- Jack Ward has been leading by example on the intramural basketball court this season and classmates Maraki Shiferaw and Zazoue Marsan have been contributing in scrimmages.
- Reema Wulfsberg, Frankie Dowers, and Abigail Chang have all demonstrated skill on the climbing wall this winter while Nihka Linhart and Christine Deng have enjoyed the winter hikes.
- Eden O’Sullivan, Maren Whitman, and Bea Stevenson have been active members of the JV fencing team and are improving their technique on the strip.