Clayton and DeStefano Lead Varsity Hoops Past Park
Team captains Julia Clayton and Camille DeStefano led the girls’ varsity basketball team to a strong nine-point win in their season opener against Park this week. Clayton had a team-best 10 points and 11 rebounds, and set the tone with physical play under the hoop. DeStefano’s five assists were a team-high, and her poise with the ball helped squash Park’s second half comeback. Collectively, it was a great team win for the Blue & Gold who will be back on the court next Wednesday against Charles River.
- Wrestling won nine of 12 matches against LCA in their season opener this week. Newcomers Thierrence Mathurin and Zephy Borisy both won by pinfall, while sixth grader Nikos Axiotis secured his first takedown and finished with a half nelson pin.
- Fencing topped BB&N 16-11 this week. First-year fencers Angel Chavannes and Sophia Tang combined for a 4-0 record. Team veteran Brooks Largay also finished with a pair of wins and showed tremendous improvement from a year ago.
- The boys’ varsity basketball team received inspired play from Cole Sparks and Alexander Colangelo who helped fuel the team’s second half comeback. Davin Roy (11) and Owen Khanna (10) led the way in the scoring column during the 47-42 loss to Park.
- Classmates Juliana Li and Nadia Lomeli are off to a great start for the volleyball team. Both are working hard in practice and have already shown marked improvement on the court. Fellow newcomer Anni Taylor has also made an impact early.
- The JV basketball teams will not tip off their interscholastic season until after break. In the meantime, sixth grade newcomers Peter Kurtz, Calder Wilmot, Nora O’Brien, and Olive Kiraly have all been settling in and are looking more at home on the court.