ABCs of Annual Giving
About the Belmont Day Annual Fund
Since 1927, our community—faculty, trustees, parents, alumni, parents of alumni, grandparents, and special friends—have generously supported the Belmont Day Annual Fund and the education it provides for every student.
Have you ever wondered what the annual fund is?
You’re not alone! Like other independent schools, the Belmont Day Annual Fund consists of gifts given by the entire school community to help meet the school’s needs in the yearly operating budget. The annual fund is Belmont Day’s largest and most important annual fundraising initiative. Gifts to the annual fund are tax-deductible and ensure that educational programs and thoughtful investments in faculty and facilities are maintained and strengthened for years to come. This year, our goal is to raise $880,000 for the annual fund.
What does the annual fund support?
The annual fund supports faculty excellence; an innovative curriculum; diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives; financial aid; professional development; and more. Like many independent schools, Belmont Day has a $5,000 gap per student between the cost of tuition and the cost of a BDS education.
Why is it important?
The annual fund is a necessary revenue stream in our operating budget, along with other revenue sources like summer programs and tuition. In addition, participation is key. A high level of participation is a tangible demonstration of our community’s belief in the school, its mission, and its promise to future generations. We encourage every member of our community to make a personally meaningful gift. Every gift, of any amount, makes an impact. This year our goal is to achieve 100% participation by current families in 100 days!
- Last academic year, 96% of current parents and 7.8% of alumni supported the annual fund, helping Belmont Day to raise an astonishing $1.227 million.
- 100% of Belmont Day’s dedicated board of trustees, faculty, and staff have participated in the annual fund for over ten consecutive years.
- Our alumni families are a vital part of the school’s sustainability, with 221 gifts made to the annual fund in 2021-22.
How much should I give to the annual fund?
We hope to collectively cover the $5,000 gap for every Belmont Day student. In the 2021-22 academic year, current parents gave from $25 to $150,000 per gift. We are so grateful for the 300 gifts from current parents totaling 45% of the gifts made to the annual fund. Every gift counts, helping Belmont Day to inspire and challenge every student. The average annual fund gift made by a new family last year was approximately $3,500.
Will I receive a tax benefit from my donation?
Yes. Belmont Day School is a registered 501(c) (3) non-profit corporation; your gift will be tax-deductible to the full extent allowed by law. Written recognition of your gift will be provided for tax purposes within thirty days of your gift.
What is a matching gift?
Many corporations have a policy of matching the contributions of their employees to educational institutions. For example, if you work for a company with a matching gift program and you contribute $500 to the annual fund, your company may double your gift to $1,000. Please take the time to determine whether your employer offers such a program—it could serve to double your donation.
Learn more about employer matching gifts and use our search tool to see if your company has a matching gift program. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you would like more information.
How do I make my gift to the annual fund?
The ways you can make a gift are:
- Outright gifts of cash. Checks should be made payable to Belmont Day School.
- VISA or Mastercard. The annual giving envelope has a section for credit card information. If you need an envelope, please pick one up at the development office, or contact us, and we will promptly mail one to you.
- Online Giving. You may make a secure donation online. Visit Ways to Give to learn more.
- Securities. Gifts of securities may be made in several ways. The most common practice is to place the securities with your broker, bank, or other agent and request that they be transferred to Belmont Day School’s account at RBC Dain Rauscher (gift account #30078369, and the school’s DTC is #0235).
Is it possible to spread out my payments?
Absolutely! To make a gift in multiple payments throughout the academic year, please reach out to Development Associate Michelle Weisman, who can help you set up pledge payments. You may divide the amount up however you see fit. We only ask that all payments are completed by June 30, 2023.
Feel free to contact a member of the development office at any time. We are here to help.
Kyle Beatty, Assistant Director of Development | firstname.lastname@example.org, (617) 932-3891
Michelle Weisman, Development Associate | email@example.com, (617) 932-3890