Athletics Update: Wrestling Out Muscles Fay and LCA
In their final meet of the season, the Blue & Gold wrestlers took on a pair of opponents at home in the Downing gym. Kavi Kumar-Warikoo got the action started with a last-second win, the first of his BDS career. With momentum on their side, Belmont Day turned to Caleb Frehywot for a match-up with the reigning Fay Invitational champion. Frehywot fought hard and ended up securing a huge win in OT for the home team. Soon after, Ellis Anderson followed with a dramatic two-point win, finishing his career on a high note in front of the home crowd. Belmont Day’s remaining wrestlers followed suit, highlighted by dominant pins by Jun Murakami and Quinn Clark. When the dust settled, the Blue & Gold walked away with a pair of victories (24-12 vs Fay / 8-0 vs LCA) and improved their season record to 7-2-1 in tri-meets. After the match, second-year head coach Andrew Bolte was asked about the season. “Over the course of a long and demanding wrestling season, our team embraced challenges, banded together, and had a whole bunch of laughs along the way. I was incredibly proud to represent Belmont Day with these wrestlers on our corner and look forward to continuing to grow the program (and the sport) next year.”
- Andrew Green’s 33 points propelled Belmont Day to a huge 50-32 win over Meadowbrook at Friday Night Hoops. Eike Kiecza, Nebiyou Elias, Liam Brodeur, and Rami Flummerfelt outrebounded the visitors 43-9 on the night.
- Quincy Treisman scored a game-high 18 points during girls’ varsity basketball’s 33-30 loss to Meadowbrook at Friday Night Hoops. Avery Schneider and Ilana Brauner played courageously in front of the largest crowd in school history.
- The girls’ JV basketball team completed their undefeated (8-0) season with a dominant win over ISB this week. Team captains Liv Dawson and Kalkidan Shiferaw kept the team focused and motivated throughout the campaign.
- Eighth graders Oliver Gottesman, Quinn McCaffrey, Anurag Mujumdar, and Ezra Wolfson left it all on the floor during boys’ JV basketball’s win over ISB. The team finished the season with an impressive 6-2 record this year.
- Congratulations to our volleyball and fencing teams who finished their seasons on high notes with an exciting tournament (volleyball) and lopsided win (fencing) this week. The two teams rostered 58 athletes combined this year.
- PEAK athletes traveled to the Bouldering Project this week to hit the climbing wall. Maraki Shiferaw and Zazoue Marsan made it all the way to the top of the auto-belay for the first time. Lucy Walther and Julia Street crushed the bouldering wall.
- The IMBB team put the finishing touches on their inaugural season with a week full of skill competitions and competitive scrimmages. Sohan Shah and Jack Ward were the team’s most improved players this season.