Volleyball Prepares for Competition
In its second year of existence, the Belmont Day volleyball program has 23 players on its roster. Given the large number, the team divided into Blue & Gold squads this week and are preparing for their first intramural competition, which is scheduled for next Thursday, January 16. The team’s four captains (Elena Ferrari, Maya Gregor, Lauren Kopperl, and Aaniya Riddick) are divided between the two squads and will be counted on to lead their teammates through the winter season, many of whom are totally new to the sport. As the program continues to grow, the possibility of transitioning to an interscholastic model becomes more of a reality. In the meantime, this year’s team will continue to develop their skills and learn the sport.
- Michael Timmins’ 11 points and seven rebounds led a balanced attack during boys’ varsity basketball’s 68-33 win over Rashi this week. Noah Burd and Jack Abruzzi chipped in with strong play down low.
- Piper Morris and Margot Klug have been providing good energy in the front court for the girls’ varsity basketball team this season. The team takes their undefeated record to Shady Hill next week.
- Sam Amaratunga’s team-high 12 points highlighted the boys’ JV basketball team’s 34-19 loss to Meadowbrook. Jake Walsh added 4 points and eight boards, and Bernie Mattox was strong defensively.
- Eliza Kuechle and Colby Morris accounted for nearly all of Belmont Day’s scoring during girls’ JV basketball’s 6-point loss to Meadowbrook in what was a very evenly matched contest.
- Newcomers Anisah Jordan, Ella Blecher, and Finnoula Wheeler have all been working hard to improve their fencing skills this winter. The trio will get back on the strip next Thursday against ISB at home.
- The wrestling team won 12 of 19 matches against Roxbury Latin this week behind a pair of dominant wins from Issac Frehywot, and strong wrestling from Quinn Foley and Zephy Borisy.