Athletics Update: Varsity Hoop Teams Split Openers
The varsity basketball teams opened up the winter season on Thursday with a pair of games against Park. The boys came out of the gates slow, yielding four straight buckets to open the game, and trailed at the half by over 20. The girls flipped the script and jumped out fast, taking a commanding 12-point lead into the break. Both teams played their best basketball in the second frame, as the boys played Park even and the girls doubled down on their lead. The boys were led by sixth grade rookie point guard Andrew Green who topped the stat column in points and assists. Teammate Brendan Bandar provided the energy on both ends of the floor and helped breathe life into the team following their listless first-half performance. The girls were led by eighth grade veteran Emma Kass who recorded a double-double (12 points and 10 rebounds) and controlled the paint on both ends of the floor. Teammate Colby Morris chipped in with some aggressive defense and some easy buckets in transition. Both teams will be back at it next week against Charles River as the boys will look to even their record at 1-1, while the girls will look to remain undefeated at 2-0.
- Rookie wrestlers Kaden Flummerfelt, Alexander Meredith, and Quinn Clark are off to a great start on the mat and are eager for their first matches next week against Milton.
- Yara Ibrahim and Audrey Chuang have found a new home on the volleyball team and are working hard to learn the fundamentals of the sport.
- A program record 13 sixth grade athletes are fencing this winter. Duncan Beirne is looking forward to his first athletics action of the year after being sidelined this fall.
- Maddie Cutie and Emme Taylor have been working hard in practice for the girls’ JV basketball team and will be counted on to contribute on the court this winter.
- Relatively new to the sport, Oliver Gottesman and Anurag Mujumdar have been eager learners during practice for the boys’ JV basketball team.