Athletics Update: Kadnar Pours in 16 Points in Opener
Seventh grade standout Alexandra Kadnar scored a game-high 16 points in girls’ JV basketball’s season opener against Rashi this week. After trailing 18-10 in the second half, the Blue & Gold battled back before eventually losing 27-24 after a last-second three-point attempt came up short. Kadnar ran the point for the entire game and dominated on the offensive end, while team captains Perin Fine and Maddie Cutie chipped in with some timely buckets and stingy defense. Even the newcomers got into the mix as sixth graders Kalkidan Shiferaw and Olivia Dawson controlled the paint on both ends of the court and did a great job on the glass. Despite the outcome, coaches Abbey Nyland and Larissa Rochford ’93 were proud of their team’s performance and are looking forward to getting back out there next week.
- The boys’ varsity basketball team evened its record at 1-1 behind spirited play from team captains Braiden Dargon and Bernie Mattox who led the team in scoring and assists respectively.
- Niamh O’Brien and Bella Lightbody gained their footing during the girls’ varsity’s lopsided home victory over LCA this week. The duo logged big minutes together and competed with confidence on both ends of the floor.
- The boys’ JV basketball team dropped their season opener 34-18 but received standout performances from Rhys Kaplan and Nebiyou Elias whose energy and leadership set the tone offensively.
- The fencing team lost 17-10 at Beaver this week. Highlights included Carter Bradshaw’s two epee wins, Simon Wright’s big 5-4 win, Sebastian Colberg’s 5-2 sabre win, and Zach Cash’s 5-4 foil win.
- Evan Griffith-Ebrahimi and Sophie Jean led the white squad to a 2-0 win over the blue squad in volleyball this week. Audrey Chuang crushed it on the service line and Kamila Ruiz played strong in defeat.