Wrestling Prepares for Sophomore Season
After breaking onto the wrestling scene a year ago, Belmont Day is prepared to take its program to the next level this winter. Under the tutelage of head coach Brian Laskowski, five wrestlers return from last year’s squad including eighth grade standouts Xander Lightbody, Evan Seymour, and Theo von Gottberg. Joining the veterans is a group of eight newcomers who will add some depth to the experience that already exists. The team kicks off its interscholastic season next week at home versus Lexington Christian.
- Alexander Colangelo and Aaron Radke were the lone underclassmen to earn spots on the boys’ varsity basketball team this winter. The team squares off against Park next week.
- After successful seasons on the JV team last year, Kiki Friedbauer and Lynn Lewis earned spots on the girls’ varsity basketball team this winter thanks to their energy on the court.
- Scott Abbott, Ashley Luo, and Orion Schrag are the only eighth graders on the 17-player fencing roster. The trio will be counted on to provide leadership to the program this winter.
- Aaniya Riddick and Michelle Mejia-Levy return for their second year of volleyball and are looking forward to competing in a full schedule of intrasquad matches his winter.
- Sue Kelman, Milly Noble, and Amanie Yusef return for their second year of JV basketball and are hoping to lead the team to some victories on the hardwood this season.
- Elijah Allen, Henry Monroe, and Toby Gauld brought great energy to basketball tryouts and will be counted on to play significant minutes for the JV team this winter.