Grade 6 Woodworking and 21st Century Skills
The sixth grade woodworking and 21st century skills class is designed to facilitate the development of independent thinkers. The course’s projects enhance problem-solving skills by encouraging students to think creatively and evaluate their design decisions during the building and testing stages. The process emphasizes communication, establishing skills necessary for working collaboratively within a group environment, and creating a learning atmosphere that emphasizes positive support among peers. Problems have included designing and building a structural support beam, a sorting device, and a model airplane flight.
Sixth grade students will:
- use tools to cut, measure, smooth, join, and finish projects
- research, draw, and discuss plans for projects
- follow a process from design drawing to a finished project
- collaborate and communicate effectively
- evaluate and modify projects to make them more successful