Seventh and eighth grade students are invited to make choices about what artistic areas they would like to explore and will experience opportunities to experiment across the domains. They choose from among nearly 30 elective arts courses in music, performing arts, technology, visual art, and woodworking, offered during four eight-week sessions throughout the year. At the end of each session students gather to share their completed pieces and reflect on the artistic process. The last session is devoted to the seventh and eighth grade play during which each student will contribute in some way, as an actor, scenery maker, costumer, lighting technician, program designer, crew, or other role.
Arts electives vary from year to year. For the school year 2016-17, the electives options include: BDS Radio—Broadcast Dramas; Beethoven’s 5th & Other Favorites; Blues Guitar; Ceramics I (Handbuilding); Ceramics II (Pottery Wheel); Costume Design for the Stage; Devising Theater; Digital Photography,; Discover Woodworking Tools; Drawing; Drawing with Needle and Thread; How to Sell a Song; “Improvabilities”—Learning to Act on Your Feet; Knitting; Lamps; Mask; Music of Movie Westerns; Painting; Printmaking Rap, Rhythm, and Rhyme; Sculpture; Sewing; Speak Up! Fundamentals of Public Speaking; Special Effects; Special Effects Make-Up; Visual Arts Programming; Web Design; Wood Carving; Wood Sculpture.
Seventh grade students will:
- design and create projects and activities determined by the particular course
- use various references for project and performance ideas
- incorporate planning for ideas and designs for projects and modify as needed
- recognize and use various materials, tools, and musical instruments appropriately
- explore and refine advanced techniques according to the individual's abilities
- recognize, develop, and use an appropriate art and music vocabulary
- develop an understanding of the work of various artists, musicians, composers, and cultures
- collaborate with others to create a collectively satisfying studio and performance experience